Bamboo flooring is a great hardwood floor option that is quite popular in so many homes today. Bamboo is not only the environmentally smart choice, but it naturally resists water, humidity, and the damage that can be caused by a busy family, dropped objects or heavy furniture. If you choose this great looking hardwood floor type to go into your home or project, you will need to make some informed decisions about selecting the most suitable bamboo flooring transitional pieces.
What are Bamboo Transitional Pieces?
Bamboo transitions are pieces of flooring that help provide a smooth surface from one room or level, to another. the important finishing touches to complement your existing wood floors, home style, and décor. Transitional pieces include the moldings and trims that add a professional, finished look to your home’s space. There are a wide variety of options available to provide the proper function and to match your design elements and overall interior.
Types of Transitional Pieces
- Bamboo T-Moldings are the common transitional pieces that will take you from one room to another when the floor surfaces are of equal height, or between two floor surfaces if they are within 1/8″ in height of each other. T-molding is flat on the showing surface area and has a raised notch down the middle and across the length of the underside. It is often used when a bamboo wood floor transitions into a kitchen or a bathroom that has either a thick vinyl flooring or tile. Bamboo t-molding will cover the expansion gap between the two floors.
- A Bamboo Reducer is used to transition from wood flooring to a floor covering that is at a lower surface. A reducer is sometimes seen at an entry foyer, or when leading to a vinyl covered floor or a short pile carpet. The reducer should be the same thickness as the wood floor and will have a groove on the back of it. It is an essential piece for eliminating awkward gaps and for reducing tripping hazards.
- A Bamboo Threshold is for use to complete the flooring at a door and also used at sliding glass doors. It makes a beautiful stopping point and gives a great finished look. As well as being functional, a bamboo threshold is often a way to add a design accent or to create a sense of boundary in an open-concept room. It is a versatile trim piece that can also be customized by making adjustments on it with a table saw when a standard reducer does not work for a particular flooring change.
- Bamboo Stair Nosings are used to transition from a floor to a staircase, on staircase landings, or on step downs. They are also known as bull nose or bull nosing. These pieces have a small lip to give the floor a finished look that is consistent with the stairs below. You would also use this type of transitional piece when you have bamboo flooring on a stair landing or as part of stair steps. To go even further, you might even decide to use a bamboo stair tread on the horizontal surfaces of stairs to give a beautiful and more unified look to staircase, landings, and an upper level.
- Bamboo Shoe Molding is similar to quarter round and used to cover expansion gaps where the floor ends into the wall. It is a small piece of molding that fits right into the corner and has a rounded edge on the outside. Shoe molding makes a great transition not only between the floor and the wall, but also from the floor to cabinets.
- Bamboo Baseboards are often used in conjunction with shoe molding. Baseboards cover the lowest part of an interior wall and act as a beautiful transition between the floor and the wall, covering any uneven cuts along the wall. A baseboard is also good protection for your wall and adds a professional finish to any room.
Tips for Installing Bamboo Transitional Pieces
You don’t have to be an expert carpenter to spruce up a room with bamboo wood trim pieces, but you will need a few tools and a little bit of patience. First off, be sure to have a measuring tape and table or miter saw for accuracy and nice clean cuts. You will also need a nail gun, drill, and non-water based adhesive, depending upon whether you will be nailing, gluing, or both. Aside from selecting the appropriate tools and materials for the task, here are some general guidelines for your project:
- Read the manufacturer’s directions, if available, for information that is specific to the product you are using.
- If using a nail down method, it is recommended that you predrill first and use nails that will be fine enough not to be detected.
- If using glue down method, you will need to glue to either one floor or both depending on the flooring type. Be sure to use high-quality urethane based glue.
- When using glue methods, use enough of it to fasten the product down, but don’t overdo it so that excess is visible and is filling the gap.
- After the glue application, use weights or tape to help secure the piece depending on the type of trim. Be sure to wait until the glue has fully cured which may take 12 hours or more. .
- Transitions must be fastened directly to the sub-floor and not to the actual flooring material.
- Some transitional pieces may come with a track that must be fastened in first.
- Plan your project in its entirety before you start to avoid do-overs or backtracking. Don’t forget the old adage- Measure twice! Cut once!
It’s All in the Details
There is a lot of thought that goes into professionally completing a wood floor project. How will the floor transition into another room? Where is a natural stopping point? Will any gaps been created and if so, how will those be addressed? How can safety issues, awkwardness, or any unsightliness be avoided? Where can interest and design be added? These are a few of the items you will want to think about before you even start your project.
Bamboo transitional pieces are not only the solutions to these challenges, but used correctly, they give you a professional, high-end, showcase appearance that adds splendor and value to your space. Your project deserves that final, customized touch. Using the proper transitional and trim pieces will help you protect, sustain, highlight, and truly enjoy the craftsmanship of your beautiful flooring.